Sunday, November 3, 2013

Everyday Skirt


I've been obsessed with mustad colored clothing for myself for fall.  But I haven't had much luck finding what I want in the stores.  When you sew for yourself, you're used to getting exactly what you want.  So it can be frustrating to go into the shops and not find what you want which leads you right back to sewing.  

When Liesl released the women's patterns this fall I knew I needed to make myself a mustard colored skirt.  I went to JoAnn's and alas NO mustard colored cloth anywhere.  Well maybe in the quilting section but I wanted apparel fabric.  So I ordered this fabric from Pink Chalk Fabrics.  This is technically a chambray and I really love it.  I bought another piece of chambray from Pink Chalk that is even more beautiful.


This is an indigo cross weave chambray.  Don't you love that selvedge?  I love it.  I have even more apprecation for fabric after having dabbled in weaving.  And that's what I love about this piece of fabric.  You can really see the weave of it.   So, so pretty.  I wish I could incorporate the selvedge into a garment but I have this fabric slated for a Late Lunch Tunic.  And I don't think fringe on the hem or the sleeves is my style.  Anyhow.  



I made a small in the skirt even though I probably should have made a medium.  My lower waist measurement is pretty much the same as my real waist measurement.  Yes, that makes me pretty much shaped like a square in my middle section.  Nice, right?  So that's why I went with the small and coupled with the fact I was concerned about having too much fabric gathered around my square shaped waist.  

I really love this skirt.  It's very versatile.  I felt very good wearing it to Church.  I'm not sure it's the most flattering skirt on me.  Or maybe I've gained some weight.  I rarely weigh myself so that is a distinct possibilty.  (Oh, no!)  The thing is I felt great wearing this skirt but looking at these picture now I feel like I look thick. Or maybe thicker.  (Uuugggh!)  Anyhow.

I love it with the cape.  I felt very stylish on my way to Church this morning.  It was a cool morning and we walked.  It was lovely.  

7 comments:

  1. You don't look thick! I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! I found the courage to step on the scale was pleased to see on 1.5 lb increase. Phew!

      Delete
  2. Sarah, I love this on you! It is a fab colour and looks great with your cape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color!! I think it looks great on you, and it goes perfectly with the cape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love the Mustard chambray skirt. So pretty! It looks nice paired with a shirt and cardi AND with the cape. You look fabulous, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty outfit. I'm glad you were able to find the perfect mustard fabric!

    ReplyDelete