But here they are. I am beyond happy with them! Grace's first!
This jacket was made form a Burda pattern a dear friend sent me. She and her daughters picked it out especially for Grace. Grace allowed me to pick the fabric since she is now at school. I really debated between several different fabrics. I brought this fabric home and showed it to her hoping she would love it. And she did, she loved it for PANTS! But it wasn't hard to convince her that it would make a great jacket. She gave me the go ahead in no time. She really loved the lining fabric because it's soft and silky and feels great so that helped.
If you haven't sewn from a Burda pattern they are a little challenging. The whole shcemata is different. First off there are a lot of markings on the patterns because they mark seams and number them. Because there is so much detail on the pattern piece it's hard to know what markings I'll actually need. Related, the direction themselves are very brief.
I would say this is the hardest thing I've sewn because of the collar and lapels. So many points and right angles to get crisp. I've never put on a collar like that. But I followed the directions carefully, learned something new, and got decent points and angles. Yay!
After that I kinda just used the directions loosely. I've made a couple coats before so I knew what to do.
Margot's coat is the School Days Jacket and Coat from Oliver + S.
Next up is Margot's. Now this was a dream to sew. The directions read as if Liesl (the designer) is sitting right next to you talking you right through it all. I like that. Especially for a somewhat intimidating or difficult pattern.
This is made from a lightweight canvas. This fabric for this jacket was a bit expensive. Printed canvas is hard to find and this fabric comes all the way from Japan! I contemplated trying to pattern match at least a couple of the pieces. But I found out this fabric is nearly impossible to pattern match. Can you see the "stripes" that go through the flowers? There seems to be no pattern to these stripes and I never once was able to pattern match. I think it's fine thought. I underlined it with flannel to make it warmer. It is lined with a quilting cotton weight fabirc which by the way I cut upside down. The only happy part of that is that hood lining looks right side up when it's not worn as in this picture.
The linig is large polka dots with random ones turned into animal faces. The animal faces are upside down. Sigh. At least it wasn't the outside fabric. I hate fabric with direcitonality. I swear it should come with a warming label.
Anyhow, both jackets are done. And it's like 90 degrees out. So as soon as I get a chance I promised modeled shots.