I've made a couple of button down shirts for Brent and I've made some blouses for the girls but I've never made myself a proper button down shirt with collar and cuffs. So after buying these jeans, I knew I needed a new shirt to go with them. I wanted a fitted, short blouse with 3/4 sleeves. So I used Simplicity 2447 and combined a few of the views to get exactly what I wanted.
I made my shirt out of a white stretch poplin I bought at JoAnn's. It's perfect for a blouse. And since this is a very fitted blouse, the stretch is appreciated.
Like I said, I wanted this to be very fitted. And I liked this pattern because of the princess seams. I knew I'd be able to get the perfect fit without a lot of hassle like working with darts. I didn't even make a muslin. I cut the size 12 which is what I usually cut in Simplicity patterns. Then I sewed up the front and back and put those together and then basted on the front plackets. I tried it on and figured out how much I wanted to take it. I ended up taking it both on the side seams and and the princess seams until I got it perfect.
The only thing I didn't take into account was taking in the sleeve at the seam under the arm. By taking in the side seams, I altered the size of the armscye. So when I struggled setting the one sleeve in I realized my error but at this point I had the sleeve in. It has some fullness at the cap where there shouldn't be. But I didn't go back and take in the sleeve. I got the one sleeve set in nice and the other one is not too bad.
The other triumph of this project was that the collar is a two piece collar with a collar and the collar stand. I've never made a collar like this and I have to say I love a two piece collar. I love how it's sewn. It's so easy and I was so proud of the professional finish.
This is a close up of the cuff.
And then I thought I'd include a really terrible picture of me that's pretty funny too.
It's hard to be a model.