Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fall Sewing

I've just finished up a lot of sewing for the kids and it's time to do some sewing for me.  Naturally, I turned to the new Lisette patterns.  They fit me really well and are a pleasure to sew.   Size 12 fits me so well I don't even bother making a muslin.  Except this time I wished I had though not for the Continental Blouse which this is.


It was so easy to sew up with no closures.  I started and finished it in the same sitting which rarely happens.  The front looks like a long sleeved t-shirt except this is a woven fabric not a knit. 


The back has some gathering in the middle of the shirt.  


This is a very easy shirt to wear- about as easy as a t-shirt but it looks a lot nicer.  I would definitely make this one again.  I'd add just a bit of length to the hem and the sleeves.  

The next item I made is the Itinerary Dress and this is the one I wished I had made the muslin for.  


Here it is without the belt.  Not a great look for me but it sure is comfortable this way.  Maybe in flannel it would make a great nightgown. (I'm totally serious!)  Add the belt and 


wow, it's a completely different dress!  I did not expect to get such a bold, sexy dress.


I really wish I had added an additional 2 inches or so in length to the dress. It feels so skimpy and I am not used to wearing clothes like this!


With heels I am ready to go out.  This is definitely not a dress to wear to church.  I did try this on with a pair of fitted jeans and I thought it looked nice.  I also tried it on with sheer black tights and black boots and that also looked good.  So there are lots of ways to wear this dress.

I'd love to make this dress again though I'd try to make it look more sporty and less sexy.  Most importantly, I'd make it a couple of inches longer and secondly I chose a more subtle fabric.  I also consider making the dress in one fabric and use the contrasting fabric for the sash.  But all in all, it was a great dress to sew.  I see it as a cross between the Sailboat top and the Ice Cream Dress.  

Next up for me is a pair of Portfolio pants out of some old plaid suiting fabric I got from Brent's Grandfather who used to work in a fabric mill.  I also plan to make the Continental Dress out of some old fabric that was in my Mom's stash.  


3 comments:

  1. It is a sexy dress at that length...and you can totally pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress!! And I like it on the short side, when ur old, go long...but ur not, so keep it short and sexy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dress!! And I like it on the short side, when ur old, go long...but ur not, so keep it short and sexy!!!

    ReplyDelete